Learn useful self-defense skills in a comfortable environment
For adults and teens
Self-defense workshops are great for all kinds of settings:
- Company team-building events
- As part of a company “health fair”
- School functions
- Part one of a girls’-night-out
- One in four women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.
- Most attackers will give up if they think they cannot succeed (in abduction, rape, etc.) within two to three minutes.
- Of the women who chose to resist an attacker fewer than 9% sustained injuries more than a cut or a bruise.
- Workplace violence accounted for 18% of all violent crime between 1993 to 1999. At work or on duty, U.S. residents experienced over 1.7 million violent victimizations annually, including 325,000 aggravated assaults, 36,500 rapes, 70,000 robberies, and 900 homicides.
- Creating & maintaining awareness of your surroundings
- Verbal de-escalation
- Strategies for avoiding confrontation
- Most important weapons for self-defense
- Considering exit and entry strategies
- Simple example physical practice (intensity & duration can be adjusted; 5 minutes to several hours)
Customized one-off self-defense seminars are also available.
Self-defense seminars are taught by Silicon Valley Karate LLC Chief Instructor Jon Keeling. Sensei Keeling has been teaching traditional Karate since 1984 and self-defense since 1989, having taught self-defense to THOUSANDS of people and has taught internationally. He teaches the self-defense course at Stanford University. The author of over 100 articles relating to karate, he has studied a variety of other martial arts and has an international reputation for particular focus on practical applications in the martial arts. Read his full bio.