Learn useful self-defense skills through our biweekly classes
In each class, we usually spend some time review prior material and introduce a new theme, typically finishing with some very slow ‘free’ practice and/or scenario analysis. In addition to practicing physical skills, we will spend time each class discussing strategies to stay safe and in some classes also talk about legal and ethical issues involved in self-defense. No prior martial arts experience necessary.
Some background information:
- According to a report by the Dept of Justice, On average, there are an average of over 300,000 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year in the United States.
- More statistics here.
- Here is one example study that found women to be significantly more prepared in self-defense encounters after having taken part in a self-defense classes.
- Creating & maintaining awareness of your surroundings
- Verbal de-escalation
- Strategies for avoiding confrontation
- Most important weapons for self-defense
- Considering exit and entry strategies
- Different types of violence
- Ethical issues
- Legal issues relating to use of physical self-defense
- Simple to advanced physical practice (intensity levels dependent on experience and physical condition of individuals)
- Scenario analysis and training
Self-Defense classes are normally held on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month, 7-8pm+. Please see schedule of all classes here.
Self-defense seminars are taught by Silicon Valley Karate LLC
Chief Instructor Jon Keeling. Sensei Keeling has been teaching traditional Karate since 1984 and self-defense since 1989. He has studied a variety of martial arts and has an international reputation for teaching practical applications to the martial arts. In addition to having both depth and breadth of experience in various martial arts, Mr Keeling has put a lot of time & effort into exploration of real-world self-defense, including attending training camps and seminars let by Mr. Rory Miller and his associates, considered by many to be the best in the self-defense business. He has taught self-defense to over 2500 people so far. Read his full bio.
To sign up, please click here.