Learn useful self-defense skills through our biweekly classes
For adults and teens (ages 15+)
In each class in this rotating curriculum we review prior material and introduce a new theme, typically finishing with some very slow “free” practice and/or scenario analysis. In addition to practicing physical skills, we will spend time each class discussing strategies to stay safe and in some classes also talk about legal and ethical issues involved in self-defense. No prior martial arts experience necessary.
Some background information:
- According to a report by the Dept of Justice, On average, there are an average of over 300,000 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year in the United States.
- More statistics here.
- Here is one example study that found women to be significantly more prepared in self-defense encounters after having taken part in a self-defense classes.
In these classes, learn about:
- Creating & maintaining awareness of your surroundings
- Verbal de-escalation
- Strategies for avoiding confrontation
- Most important weapons for self-defense
- Considering exit and entry strategies
- Different types of violence
- Ethical issues
- Legal issues relating to use of physical self-defense
- Simple to advanced physical practice (intensity levels dependent on experience and physical condition of individuals)
Self-Defense classes are normally held on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month, 7-8pm+. Please see schedule of all classes here.
Self-defense seminars are taught by Silicon Valley Karate LLC
Chief Instructor Jon Keeling. Sensei Keeling has been teaching traditional Karate since 1984 and self-defense since 1989. The author of over 100 articles relating to karate, he has studied a variety of other martial arts and has an international reputation for particular focus on practical applications in the martial arts. In addition to having both depth and breadth of experience in various martial arts, Mr Keeling has put a lot of time & effort into exploration of real-world self-defense, including training camps and seminars let by Mr. Rory Miller and his associates, considered by many to be the best in the self-defense business. Read his full bio.
To sign up, please click here.